Thursday, December 07, 2006

Benefits of smoking (contd.)

I've heard a variant of the smoking-reduces-your-life argument - a chain smoker apparently loses ten years of his life overall. It probably derives from the same kind of calculation, but is probably more effective since the bulk figure looks imposing.

Anyway, if we're discussing the amount of time wasted by smoking a cigarette, then does the reasoning disappear if we do something else while smoking? Like driving, maybe? If I smoke while watching a movie, do the wasted minutes add up, or do we subtract the intersection time?

And while we're on the topic of time wasted watching a movie, shouldn't there be some method of allotting more wasted time to three hours spent watching KANK than three hours spent watching, say, Magnolia?

Another question: if I get into a spaceship and travel at close to the speed of light while smoking, and then get off after it, do I lose less of my life?

No comments: